Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
kwn0001
ParticipantStudents often embrace the HyFlex model because it provides them with the flexibility to balance their demanding flight training schedules with their academic requirements, ensuring they remain on track for graduation. By allowing learners to choose between attending live simulator briefings in person or engaging with recorded sessions asynchronously, the model accommodates the unpredictable nature of flight hours and weather delays that frequently disrupt traditional timetables. Furthermore, this approach empowers aviation students to take personal responsibility for their learning trajectory, a critical skill for developing the self-regulation and situational awareness required for professional pilot certification.
This helped me think more critically about the HyFlex method for flight students and weather here in AL can be very volatile and unpredictable so flight hours can be a source of stress for students. Removing the stress of attending class in person for every session can help students balance a demanding class schedule and keeping up with flight requirements. What worries me is students losing touch with the class if they do too much asychronous work, especially if they started making meaningful connections with other students. I do like the idea of empowering students to make decisions and self-regulate their learning path as those are transferrable skills.
kwn0001
ParticipantI definitely get the appeal of online, asynchronous learning and for me personally, when I am learning something that I choose to learn about (something completely self-directed and voluntary), I do prefer online learning on my own time. I take free courses at Hillsdale College and my being able to learn on my own time allows me to learn in small chunks of do a deep dive into the content if my schedule allows.
kwn0001
ParticipantFor me, I prefer to do a combination of learning in person and learning asynchronously according to my schedule, that is what worked best for me when I was in grad school and earning my Doctorate. My students, being aviation students, prefer in-person with limited online learning. Online learning works for when I cannot be in class for them, but they would much rather be in class.
-
AuthorPosts
